• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tanning Salons

MaxwellAA

Bluelighter
I'm a tanaholic. I use a standup bed every 2-3 days for 7-9 minutes at a time. Should I be expecting skin cancer when I reach middle age.
Opinions. Comments. First hand experiences are all welcome, please.

the darker your skin is and the darker your tan can get, the more protection you have against uv radiation. naturally paler people are at a higher risk but even if you're creole it's not a good idea to be doing that all year around.

I'm pretty sure if you tan every day, you're very likely to get skin cancer. Or at least have leathery, wrinkled skin by middle age.

you can easily develop a cancer with a tanning bed/machine. i wouldn't recommend you use it as much as you do.

You should expect dark spots (hyperpigmentation) and wrinkles on your face and broken capillaries (face and body) from sun damage in your late 20's early 30's.

How long have you been tanning?

I broke free a couple of years ago. I wished I stopped sooner. My skin shows my past love affair with the booth.

I have been laying outside a lot naked reading for the last few weeks. Its made me much darker than usual.

My concern is that I am getting too much sun though (3-4 hours at a time and I come back flushed and then become darker than before). Its a very noticeable change.

I kinda envy you. I am a white girl, and I went to a tanning salon once and burnt my ass so bad I couldn't sit down. And then it started to itch, wtf?

you're not suppose to spent more than 10 minutes in a tanning salon. it isn't meant to burn you. you're supposed to have a dozen or so regular short visits to achieve results.

and skin burns, like any freshly scarred tissue, itches when it heals.

If your going to tan make sure your diet is rich in healthy fats, protein, and anti-oxidants. Before i go outside to tan i use a mixture coconut oil/sesame oil/olive oil on the skin and some anti-oxidants like
vitamin C, astaxanthin, green tea/yerba mate, acetyl -l- carnitine/alpha lipoic acid. Maybe add some collagen protein/MSM and I'm pretty much glowing, but thats just me heh...O I love the sun its very healing and i'm dark enough to rarely sunburn

Friends lil sis got melanoma ON HER LABIA, 17 years old.

I respect the sacrafice of your future for the pleasure you bring to those who gaze upon your tanned body!

I have a dark spot on my penis now from sunbathing. Should I be worried? Man a lot of crazy shit has been happening to my dick lately.

A little bit of sun every day is good for you, but it's probably only a fraction of an hour, depending on your skin type. Even a few minutes might be enough for pale people.

Tanning salons should be avoided completely, and definitely try to avoid getting burnt at any time. Some skin cancers are associated with accumulative lifetime exposure, but melanoma (the most deadly) is currently thought to be more closely associated with intermittent periods of intense exposure (i.e. getting burnt), as well as lifetime exposure.

I never get burned.... but I am Caucasian.
I have only been tanning every 3 days for a month.

I'm going to keep watch for any brown spots. But, would it be too late by the time I found one?

ah, when you said 2-3 days, i assumed you meant each week!

just get your spots checked regularly. here in sydney, they're free.

so not all dark spots are bad? I get freckled a lot but this penis spot is like an inch long :\

I've only spent maybe 20 hours cumulative in direct sun the last 2 or 3 weeks

^get it checked. even if it aint skin cancer, it may be something else.

respekt the cawk!

can I request a female BLer to check it for me?

I think I'll likely just see if it will disappear first then if it doesn't after a few months I'll check it out at a doctors.

tanning salon?!

yikes.

i don't get it, i live in florida, and i i believe there are more tanning salons here in the "sunshine state" than any other area (barring la).

don't waste your money by increasing your risk to skin cancer (skin cancer rates just keep going up also), ruining your skin, increasing your chances for wrinkles, liver spots, etc.

even if you don't end up with melanoma, basal cell isn't much better. here in florida, we have a lot of experience:
*my fair-skinned mother has had 4 chunks butchered off of her back
*my fair-skinned boyfriend had to undergo a skin graft and plastic surgery at the age of 22 because of basal cell Dx on his nose
*one of my good friends has a horrendous scar on his upper arm because the health dept. had to remove a mole on his upper arm

it just doesn't make sense. go buy some self-tanner if you really feel the need to emulate george hamilton.

if you *really* want some information, go to the american cancer society's site.

jozza is right, according to the acs.

your body does need sunlight for vitamin d production, which helps the body absorb calcium. although, you could garner all necessary vitamin d from food sources.

p.s. i used to go to tanning salons. then i just started buying bronzer.
nursing school is what has made me become more cautious, along with all my loved ones...